Re: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckle homocide

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckle homocide
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:02:08 -0400
I got to thinking about this problem, and commented
to Denny, off-reflector.

There's an aspect to this which we haven't considered:

Tampering with the guys is a threat to personnel aloft.
Should someone be seriously injured or killed, we'd be
talking homocide. If it went undetected, and someone
were injured or killed, Denny would hold personal liability.

This sabotage is 'assault with intent',not vandalism.
IMHO, I would report it as such, and post signs on the guys
with that message.

If it's hunters with too much time and alcohol on their
hands, they need a wakeup call.  If it's deliberate, it's
even worse.

I would also devise a low-voltage circuit to pass through
all turnbuckles, such that no turnbuckle can be turned
without breaking or disabling the circuit.  Said dropout
should trigger an alarm in the home, allowing time for
police to be called.  A PITA, to be sure, but of all the
options, most likely the cheapest and most secure.

n2ea