Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 02:04:21 -0400
There's been some good advise in here, but I'd add that not all things
dangerous may be obvious.

Of course when it comes to pruning, using heavier guys, and just making
things stronger we reach a point of rapidly diminishing returns.  When it
comes to trimming tree limbs.  I'd trim back far enough so should the tree
tip over from the base (rarely happens) and then add another 10 feet.  I say
that as just a couple years ago we had some straight line winds that were
probably the result of a microburst. One of the Maple trees in the front
yard was bent over at an unbelievable angle. The wind quite suddenly, the
tree snapped upright and one of the major limbs (about a foot in diameter)
broke off right where it joined the trunk.  It threw that 600 to 800# limb
between 20 and 30 feet UP-WIND toward the house. We could feel the impact
through the floor when it hit the ground.

My system is guyed, but only about 10' from the corner of the house and the
top of the tower is a good 30feet above most of the trees. The top antennas
are another 30 feet higher.  It may be a wooded area but those antennas show
up from a long way off.

As for guys getting in the way, you only need elevate the anchor point 4 or
5 feet and then back guy that. Put a fence/rose trellis around that and it's
effectively hid.

Good Luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)