Re: [TowerTalk] "tower in the woods"

To: Doug Hansel <mustbhe@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "tower in the woods"
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:55:52 -0400
Doug,

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. While I totally agree the
best approach is to cut down all trees or big branches that could
fall on a guy wire, it ain't a happening thing here! Ditto for
freestanding or crankup towers. I have what I have, and waited 25
years for the chance to have it!

I have an 80 foot guyed tower that is just at the edge of the woods.
Two guys are definitely in harm's way. It has been there three years
so far. I am just finishing construction of a 100 foot guyed tower
that is completely in the woods. All of the guys on that one could
be hit by falling trees. I cleared out a small circle where the
tower is, and narrow swaths for the guys. I did try to remove as
many large branches that would be above the guys as possible, but
could not get to some of them.

I am well aware both towers are at risk and the most likely cause of
loss is falling trees. It was either put them up where they are and
accept that risk, or not have towers at all. Given that a large-ish
tree only falls on my lot an average of once every 5 years, and so
far in my 25+ years observing them, only dead or dying ones have
fallen, the odds don't seem so bad. I will be keeping a close eye
out for trees that don't look healthy, and will remove any that seem
to look threatening. However, some trees on my neighbor's lot could
wipe out certain guys as well - there's nothing I can do about those.

Paul, N1BUG