Re: [TowerTalk] Orion Rotator

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion Rotator
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:55:32 -0400
Going to a 3" mast should improve the grip, however before I would do that I
would carefully look at the mast clamp.  There has been a lot of posts about
the Orion clamps slipping and the bolts loosening.  Perhaps the grip area is
too small or it doesn't properly fit your mast.  I think if you are relying
on the mast slipping to save your rotator, your have a poor design.  At my
previous station in Illinois I had 60 foot boom 20m antennas and a full size
40m antenna with a 90+ foot 80m dipole interlaced and I never had to climb
the tower to re-align anything after a wind storm.  You could used the Green
Heron controller as W9GE suggested and re-align the antennas from inside the
shack, however your coax loop would no longer be adequate.   The Yaesu
G-2800DXA I think is similar to the Orion 2800 however it uses and aluminum
mast clamp and the mast is pinned with an 8mm bolt.  I'm not sure how the
Orion is constructed and it's possible that pinning the mast wouldn't damage
anything.

John KK9A