[TowerTalk] Feedback Re. My KT 34 XA Problem.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feedback Re. My KT 34 XA Problem.
From: RTTYMAN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:14:06 EDT
Hi to all.

I received about a dozen replies to my problem described here yesterday
regarding my 25 year old KT 34 XA & the damage it caused to my station
equipment
over time. All of you provided straightforward, non-sarcastic, very
reasonable, and most helpful information in identifying the core problem as  a
breakdown of materials in the capacitor sections (Trombones) such as those
(plastic
type) feed thru element end caps, corrosion, & deterioration. The  feed thru
element tube end caps were the original ones and I never obtained a  new set
offered by KLM in 1985. The fiberglass insulating rods between the  double
driven
elements were also mentioned as a possible cause.

The only hint of negativity detected happened to be from several folks  who
rebuilt their XA's a couple of times previously. Collectively, they  said they
wouldn't do it again!

Many suggested M2's Upgrade Kit (to make it a KT 36 XA) that  is offered.
Some simply said, after correctly identifying my  problem ... it was indeed the
right time for a new antenna. Some  described the rebuilding/upgrading process
as very lengthy & time  consuming to do the job right.

Though I did not ask for any suggestions or recommendations regarding a
future choice of antenna, quite a few of the respondents spontaneously
suggested
the SteppIR line of antennas. I must agree that it sems to be the  route I'll
most likely take. Today, I took a step in that direction by  contacting the
SteppIR manufacturers to ask some direct questions of my  own. The results are
encouraging.

I was certain I'd get some "flames" ... or a good bit of criticism for
leaving the antenna in the air for 25 years without any maintenance. Not one of

the respondents had an unkind word for me ... and all were very encouraging,
pointing out the area of my problem, and extending good luck and best wishes
with my project. Many of the respondents had left their own XA's  in the  air
for that length of time, as well.

To each & everyone of you who took time out of your personal  lives to help
me, please accept my gratitude, appreciation, and most  sincere thanks. Folks
like you still make my hobby of 45 years very  enjoyable.

Good DX & Very 73 to all.

Les Nuhn, NN6K   (RTTY Forever)