Re: [TowerTalk] Matching a Delta Loop

To: n6ry@arrl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Matching a Delta Loop
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:15:14 EDT

Terry, I like your numbers better as they use less coax. My series match
program has a flaw that I never noticed in all the years using it: inputting 79

+j.01 gives my numbers and inputting 79-j.01 gives your answers.

Goes to show you can learn something every day!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/18/2006 3:55:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
n6ry@arrl.net writes:

At 01:03  PM 2006-10-18, Phil Clements K5PC wrote:
>I hastily threw together a 30  meter Delta Loop this summer in order to get
>KH8SI in the log for a new  one on CW. Using the formula, the resonant point
>came out 10.105 mhz  (great, first try!) but the feed-point impedance is  79
>ohms.
>
>What is a good method of matching this antenna  to 50 ohm coax? I don't want
>to use ferrites. I'm using a  line-flattener in the shack now, but I robbed
>it from another project,  and I need to return it.
>
>This antenna is a real "keeper;" I was  able to bust the pile-up on 2nd call.
>The apex is a 50 feet on an 80  foot Rohn 25 tower.

A series-section matching arrangement would work  well to match to 79
ohms at 10.125 MHz.
Connect 4.83 feet of 50 ohm  line to the feedpoint (VF=0.66)
Then follow with 5.99 feet of 75 ohm line  (VF=0.66)
Looking into the 75 ohm line it will be 50 ohms.

The  bandwidth of the series-matching lines is much greater than the 30m
band.

73, Terry  N6RY