Re: [TowerTalk] Help with 80 meter temp antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with 80 meter temp antenna
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:56:24 -0500
If you don't want to shunt feed your tower, you don't want a sloper,
unless you mean a sloping dipole. But that isn't likely to be very good
either.  To work the zones you listed, you need something to produce
good gain at low angles.

A beam made from inverted vees won't work very well at low height.
However if you can keep the ends at about 50 ft above ground it should
do pretty good.  It will be a killer for stateside, but even for DX a 2
element version should outperform a single vertical in one direction.
This antenna takes up a LOT of space.

Phased verticals are a good choice, but are can be a lot of work putting
down radials. For DX purposes two phased verticals should be about the
same as the 2 element beam using vees, although the beam will kill the
verticals for close contacts.

Another antenna for consideration is the loop I described in another
post today. If your supports are in the right direction, a vertically
oriented loop fed with vertical polarization may be an option. A loop
with the top wire at 80 feet, with 102 ft horizontal wires and 42 ft
vertical wires will beat a single vertical in two directions. It will be
slightly better than that vee beam up to about 17 degrees elevation.

I don't know propagation from your location, but some of the zones you
mentioned are often better long path from where I am. That may be a
consideration.

Since this is a temporary antenna and you want to have it going in
November, I would suggest the simplest antenna to construct.  You will
have to be the judge of that depending on what you have to work with.

You can't work them if you can't hear them. What do you have for
receiving?  Got room for a beverage?

Jerry, K4SAV