Re: [TowerTalk] Single Line Tram System - Ideas Please

To: 'TowerTalk Post' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single Line Tram System - Ideas Please
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:25:34 -0600
I don't understand why anyone is still using a two wire tram
system.

A single tram wire works superb.  I use a similar set up to
Jim's and others hanging the antenna below the single tram
line.  To attach the antenna to the tram pulley, I welded an
'eye' to the saddle of a muffler clamp, 2", 3", 4" or what
ever the size of the boom.  I attach the muffler clamps to
the boom on either side of the boom to mast plate, and at a
tilt such that when the antenna goes up the tram line the
'leading' element tips are pointing up to make sure they
clear any guy wires near the top.  The rope from the tram
pulley is tied to the 'eyes' and adjusted such that the
antenna is balanced.  I then attach a rudder ( I use a piece
of 1 x 4 wood) to the boom and to the tram line to stop the
antenna from twisting while moving up the tram line.
This makes raising an antenna a 'piece of cake'!

Doug/VA5DX

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single Line Tram System - Ideas
Please

I don't get it, Lee. I've been using single-line tramming
here for years. We've
installed and uninstalled everything you can imagine - not
too long ago, a 4-el
40m Optibeam [great antenna; deserves this plug] went up the
tram line. For
that lift, we used a tram line made of guy wire and pulled
it up with a power
winch attached to the base of the tower. The pull line was
also wire rope. For
smaller jobs, we get away with a rope tram line and
hand-pull the antenna with
a rope.

I've never considered a fancy two-line tram; never saw a
need. I simply hang
the antenna from the pulley that rides the main tram line
with two straps to
the boom. The straps are attached to the boom at a spacing
that ensures the
antenna is balanced under the pulley. Then we add a tag line
somewhere to
control the antenna, and away we go.

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com