[TowerTalk] 8X on HF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 8X on HF
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 00:59:23 +0000
Besides VHF, I don't find 8x all that great for long runs on the high HF bands either.
At 28 MHz, 700 w. into 150 feet of 8x at 1:1 swr will deliver 400 w. to the load. I would rather have a lower loss feed so i can run 400 w. and see most of that getting to the antenna. A run of good coax is a one-time expense because it will last a long time and hold up under a variety of physical and electrical conditions. I used this loss calculator to experiment with different types of feed on different frequencies and lengths:

http://www.ocarc.ca/coax.htm

rob / k5uj

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more?then map the best route! http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001