Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods
From: "Orcena Lyle" <olyle@usfamily.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:55:14 -0500
Tnx!

Actually, I have it easy here (Minnesota).  I've put down a bunch of ground
rods in two different locales.  18 in. of loam, then sand all the way down to
bedrock, wherever it may be.  I run the hose on the spot if the ground is dry.
All I have to do is lift the g.r. and jam it down and that gets it in a couple
feet or even three feet.  After that it easily pounds in.

But I put a couple g.r.s by the fence in the backyard and had a heck of a time
getting them in.  There had once been a forest of old buckthorn trees and other
brush, which I had removed.  The roots were have still there.  The g.r.s would
hardly move.  I went out every day and pounded on them for awhile, and
eventually I finally got them through the roots.  So it's good to know a way to
make a g.r. pounder.  I think there's a couple dumbells around here somewhere
with the old collars and set screws, maybe I'll find them when I clean up my
basement.

Tnx,
73 de Orcy WØQT