[TowerTalk] Pl-259 Flash over voltage

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pl-259 Flash over voltage
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:19:56 -0500
The talk about breakdown voltage which is basically air across the space
between the inner and outer conductors at the PL-259. Given LMR-400 has
roughly 34 pfd per foot (23.9) or 230 pfd per hundred feet that is not a lot
of capacity.

The arc is initiated when the breakdown voltage across the gap is reached,
but when the arc is a bright blue and extends out from the end of the
connector by a 1/4 inch or more it has to consist of much more than a
microamp. I'd guess the brightness, thickness, and amount the arc extends
out from the tip are determined by the magnetic field induced due to rise
time and current.

So I wonder just how much current could be in some of these arcs.  I
wouldn't think it'd be much due to the small capacitance, but the size of
the arc, the brightness, the sound volume, and the poke they sometimes give
indicates a substantial charge.  Where would that come from?  Remember we
are not talking about induced voltages due to nearby lightning strikes.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com