[TowerTalk] QRN during the rain

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] QRN during the rain
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:29:45 -0800
I live near overhead HV powerlines as well as overhead MV powerlines.
The nearest ones are the MV powerlines which terminate at the corner
of my lot about 70 or 80 feet from my tower.  I get very strong noise
levels, especially on 80 and 40 meters whenever it rains.  The noise
levels go back to normal awhile (a few hours) after the rains stop.
It sometimes affects higher frequency bands too, but is most
noticeable on 80 and 40.  My noise levels are usually reasonable low
on 40 (like S1 or less in a 500Hz bandwidth), but seem quite high (S7
or S8 on average) on 80 meters.  My noise levels are usually
reaonsably low on the higher bands as well.  The HV lines seem
surprisingly quiet.  The noise seems to come from the MV lines.  What
causes this?