Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Damage to Rotor Housings.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Damage to Rotor Housings.
From: "Cam and Juli Hedrick" <walnutcreek@appstate.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:13:28 -0500
OK Gang, here's my experience:
I lost a TX2, thrust bearing, mast, and Telrex 20m 6 element Monobander to a
direct hit last year.  I have commercial level ground grid beneath my towers
and have sustained lightning strikes before.  This of course was a direct
strike and the others obviously weren't.  I had the tower itself inspected
for damage and replaced two sections due to arcing that had occurred.  Now,
all of my towers have a 00 cable running from the top down to the grid.  I
figure copper will take the hit before the tower next time.

Now I'm off to my anniversary dinner with the Love of My Life.

Cam Hedrick
WA4JKW