[TowerTalk] TowerTalk] temporary guys

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] temporary guys
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:59:43 +0000
Three sections of unguyed 45G is the norm during tower erection.  A little
tippy but very do-able and safe.  As far as temp guys, you may not need them
depending on your tower base.  If the base is imbedded in concrete, I'd just
erect the first three sections and then you're at your first guy point.

My tower uses the tapered, pier pin base.  So what we did was to install that
section and the next section and using a bunch of guys, Iwo Jima-ed that up
into position.  My main climber had brought his temporary guys which were
Circus tent rope and metal poles.  This was the big stuff.  Each leg had to
rops coming off of it to stakes securely pounded into the ground.  This two
section piece was secured and left alone and then up we went, gin-poling the
tower up to 120 ft.

Piks on my website below.

--
Phil - KB9CRY