Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY loops-- phased

To: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, towertalk@contesting.com,j.sz@transam.home.pl
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY loops-- phased
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:35:03 -0500
I have modeled some phased K9AY loops, and found that 180 degree phasing with
loops facing (receiving) the same way, at 130-foot spacing gave some
interesting results, in terms of a narrower pattern with better F/S and RDF
roughly like a 1.5 wavelength Beverage.  The phasing is a lot simpler than a
4-square.  I used one of these pointed NE last year with good results, though
I've never used a good Beverage so I don't know how it compares.  I'd be happy
to share the model with anyone who wants it.

I have designed, but not yet built a 4-way array using 3 K9AY loops - two
single plane (bidirectional) and one of the traditional 4-direction type, on
two adjacent sides of a 130-foot square.  I notice that SP9P speaks of modeling
results - perhaps he would be willing to share his model in either EZNEC or
NEC-2 format, and we could draw our own conclusions.

The original K9AY article speaks of compromise terminating resistor values for
80 and 160.

73, Pete