To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 48, Issue 98
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:07:17 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2006 5:28:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>   I'd feel comfortable using a guy grip on 7-strand  steel cable tram
line, since that's what it was designed for.   According to my
understanding, one can't re-use the same guy grip over and  over... so it
would have to be tossed at the end of the job (unless you're  saving the
tram line with the guy grip for reuse at a future date).   I don't know
how the manufacturer feels about using a guy grip designed  for 7-strand
cable on wire rope of the same diameter; the manufacturer's  Prime
Directive applies here.  Maybe there are grips designed  specifically for
wire rope.

        You guess'ter, Chester.  Preformed Grips can only be used with the
wire rope that they're designed for;  eg. EHS for EHS, utility grade for
utility
grade, etc. A Preform is designed for  a specific configuration, lay, number
of strands, length, etc. and they're  not compatible with other wire ropes of
the same size.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH