Re: [TowerTalk] Concentric Masts

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concentric Masts
From: "K6MR" <k6mr@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:18:50 -0800
 I saw this setup once around 1970.  K6RR had a LM-470 crankup with a 15
meter yagi as the lower one and a 10 meter delta quad as the upper one.  As
I remember it the two booms were only a few feet apart, the thought being
that the delta quad increased the 'effective' distance.

The lower rotator was held in a cage hanging off the side, the mast rotated
by a chain running between them.  I don't remember what rotators were used
(probably prop motors, but that should not matter).  Somebody with some
steel and a good welder should be able to make you  a mount pretty easily.
A thrust bearing could hold the larger mast vertical load.  As long as the
two antennas don't interact too much it should work fine.

Ken  K6MR