[TowerTalk] Unusual bird problem - Bird stuck in mast

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unusual bird problem - Bird stuck in mast
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:39:02 -0500
I have seen dead birds in my 3" diameter mast.  I'm not sure how this
happens.

John KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: Bill Coleman
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:40:40 -0500

Today I climbed the tower to take down the four foot lighted
snowflake that serves as a Christmas decoration. Just before I came
down, I noticed something odd.

My nine-foot mast is mounted about 1/2" above the top of the rotator.
I did this because when doing some antenna maintenance a couple of
years or so ago, I found the mast full of acorns. The 1/2" gap allows
the acorns to fall through.

What I noticed were some feathers sticking out of the bottom of the
mast. A bit of digging with a piece of wire, it turned out to be a
bird carcass -- a finch, if memory serves. Apparently, he had backed
into the top of the mast, then he couldn't climb back out. Poor guy.

Anyone else seen anything like this?