[TowerTalk] free mast software

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] free mast software
From: telegrapher9@aol.com
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:35:11 -0500
 For all of you mast users: Here is a link to spreadsheets to figure mast
survival.

http://www.realhamradio.com/Download.htm

Download the Spreadsheet
Unzip it
Rename the .wk1 files .xls files if your PC doesn't know what to do with them
-------------------------------
The numbers in BLUE you can change. Using "Mast2.xls" I put in these parameters:

Mat' l yield strength 35,000 (this is 6061-T6 aluminum)

Enter mast dimensions
Top   Diameter 2   Wall t in 0.25   Length in 240

(set other mast dimensions to 0)

Enter antenna dimensions:
El area 3   Bm area 3   Height in 240

"Calculates these parameters" kicks out the number 58 mi/h

--------------------------------

In my previous email I calculated 72 mph (peak gust). The spreadsheet gives 58
mph. I don't know if I made an error in my calculations or if the spreadsheet
is allowing for gusting. I think the 58 mph might be the the number that the
national weather service gives. There is a gusting factor to add to this and
the spreadsheet might be doing it.

Where I lived in Boise, Idaho this 2" diameter, 0.25" wall aluminum mast would
survive holding 6 sq ft of antenna 20' above the bottom of the mast. Where I
live now in Colorado the mast would not last a year.

Changing the aluminum mast to chrome moly steel changes the yield from 35,000
psi to 70,000. This is twice as strong and allows 1.4 times higher wind
velocity. In this example the wind survival goes from 58 mph to 82 mph.
Alternatively using an aluminum mast with a diameter of 2.75" and 0.25" wall
gives a wind survival of 80 mph. This spreadsheet sure beats

     Dave WX7G

AOL Mail and more.