Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors

To: "Dennis OConnor" <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>,<Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:54:25 -0500
Wellllll... As to soldering PL-259s I cut everything to length, tin the
braid before putting things together and then use a BIG (I believe in brute
force) soldering gun to solder the braid to the connector getting the area
around the holes just hot enough for the solder to flow.  It's not a method
for everyone as you really do have to get in and out fast or you can melt
everything. I've never had a failed connection or melted the dielectric.

HOWEVER That was when I soldered them. Now, like Denny (and with some
suggestions from Denny and guidance from others on the group. Thanks all!) I
got smart and purchased a couple of crimping tools and a box full of
connectors.  I still need a good stripper though...for the coax that is.

I'd add that N type crimp connectors are not very expensive and the ones to
fit LMR-600 are the same price as the ones that fit LMR-400 while the clamp
type for the 600 are about 5 to 6 times as much.

UHF are inexpensive and as Denny says, much faster to install.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com