[TowerTalk] RE- best repeater configuration - Looking for moresuggestion

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE- best repeater configuration - Looking for moresuggestions
From: "Randy Molyneaux (ve5 rjm)" <ve5rjm@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 09:03:57 -0600
I beleive I will be going with a lower power repeater, and higher gain antenna?
one question I have is the pattern of radiation.
The way I see it, there will be a small null but not huge (most omni when all
bays are placed in one direction)
when you place the bays in opposite directions, you lose gain, and the
radiation pattern seems to be more
oblonged, or oval in shape.
I need to cover more of a 280 degree area mobile anyways...

I would like to thank everyone for their comments, and have made a decision, on
power / antenna.
- (30 - 40 Watts with 8 Bay Dipole Antenna (11 dbd gain)
the next thing, I would like if anyone has had experience with the following
equipment...

would like comments on anyone having experience in using the following:

Antenna's I am considering to use:
  a.. Comprod 878-70
http://www.comprodcom.com/english/pdf/base/BaseStation2005-Full.pdf
  b.. Bluewave http://www.bluewaveantenna.com/products/pdf/BSE139LH0.pdf
  c.. Other suggestions are welcome
Repeater's I am considering to use:
  a.. Kenwood TKR750 Rev 2 -

  http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/pmr/tkr750_850/index.html

  b.. Vertex VXR-7000 http://www.yaesu.co.uk/vertex/base/vxr7000/vxr7000_1.htm

  c.. Icom apparently has one available that I have heard good comments about
also.

  d.. Other suggestions are welcome

  e.. (looking for easy programming - great performance - SUPPORT very
important to me)
Duplexer's I am cosidering:
  a.. CP66-13-44 (621-90) 6 cavity, 4", 138-174 MHz http://www.comprodcom.com/
  b.. CP66-113-44 (620-90) 4 cavity, 4", 138-174 MHz
  c.. CP66-13-76 (621-90) 6 cavity, 7", 138-174 MHz
  d.. Other suggestions are welcome - (looking for best isolation (I can not
seem to find a hybrid ring type duplexer, if anyone knows of one to purchase
let me know.

73's
Randy Molyneaux(VE5RJM)
Michelle Molyneaux (VE5MDM)
EchoIRLP Node 1710 & 1858
EchoLink Node 48431
ve5rjm@hotmail.com
http://parc.sasktelwebsite.net

As I recall - every 3 db is a doubling of power - SO:

50 watts into 11 dbd antenna - 630 watts

100 watts into 8 dbd antenna - 631 watts...

OK - they are about equal...now what about maintenance, cost of antenna,
etc.  The 11db antenna would probably have a sharper pattern, and require a
larger rotator.  But then there is the cost of the amp, etc.

At this point - it is probably just an economic decision, as well as a
"hassle" question - which is the least hassle to set up and maintain.....

Scott, aka KB0FHP
Well, with a 4 bay dipole, over a 8 bay dipole ( I think in chosing which
antenna, I
will be going with the 8 Bay (11 dbd gain) and not going to purchase the
amplifier.
the cost cancels each one out.

Just my guess... but the 100 watts is probably going to talk better
than it hears -- since most folks will be transmitting to the thing
with 50 watts or less.  I'd vote for the better antenna.

Our local 2m repeater actually is a 100 watt GE radio -- but
we have it turned down to 50 or 60 watts, because the extra
40-50 watts really doesn't buy much.
This is exactly what I suspected.

--
Dave N0RQ
http://www.powerlinenoise.com

One consideration often forgotten in the dB arguement is the benefit on the
RECEIVE side as well.  I would rather have 100W into a 3el yagi than 1000W into
a dipole in most cases.  Then there is the antenna pattern noise/QRM rejection
as another plus.
( I am looking for the best omni direction I can get, so when you are mobile
will get into the repeater)
note: about 240 degrees require to access repeater from at least 40 miles, the
null part of the antenna can be less obviously.

Arne N7KA

You didn't say what band the repeater would operate in? - VHF (TX: 145.250 MHz
RX: 144.650 MHz)
With 145 feet of cable I would assume that the antenna would be something
less than that in height above ground? (150' 1/2" Hard Line Heliax - Antenna
Height side mounted 145')

The higher gain antenna will give a little better performance on the receive
side of the repeater. But if this is going to be at VHF that size antenna
will be a handful on the tower.(commercial grade tower) It will handle it since
their is only 1 other antenna
positioned right at the top.

73
Gary  K4FMX

Reading this I'm assume that you are talking about a repeater installation
-correct
and not an installation for working the repeater. I'm basing that on the
remark that the area is fairly flat over a 60 mile radius.

IF that is what you are asking then things are a bit more complicated.
what is 145' of minimum loss 1/2" coax
How high will the antenna be? -Antenna height will be 145' 1/2" hard line
Heliax 150'

You also refer to 4 and 8 bay dipoles. How will they be configured?
Generally when all are mounted on one side of the tower they have a deep
null off the back. You can basically get a circular pattern by mounting half
on one side and half on the other side of the tower. If there is an area
where the null can be tolerated then of course you mount them all on the
same side.
-
The way I see it, there will be a small null but not huge (most omni when all
bays are placed in one direction)
when you place the bays in opposite directions, you lose gain, and the
radiation pattern seems to be more
oblonged, or oval in shape. ( I have no choice, the antenna must be side
mounted- for my situation)
Sharing tower space (160')

Randy:

     That extra 3 dB of gain from the 8 bay dipole array works on receive, too.
 FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Randy Molyneaux (ve5 rjm)" <ve5rjm@hotmail.com>