Re: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables

To: ki6iv@sbcglobal.net, towertalk@contesting.com, kc8hz@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:45:44 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2007 10:24:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ki6iv@sbcglobal.net writes:

>  There can probably be much debate on what is best.  I  am no expert at
this.
One of my job duties involves in working with ski  areas.  Ski areas, which
deal in long lengths of large diameter haul  ropes and also smaller ropes
typically use Caster Oil.  They will  apply a small drip as the lift is
running, then also manually worked it  into the sides so 100% of the exterior
is oiled plus a drip to penetrate to  the core.  This is part of the summer
maintenance program.  I  know of ropes that have been in service for over 30
years and are in good  shape.  The theory is that it also will soak into the
fiber center  core of the rope and slowly release during use to keep each
wire  lubricated.  The diameters and type of ropes we use usually don't  have
a fiber (or synthetic) core, but the theory's are the same and if it  is a
working rope some lubricant needs to be applied, which will also  protect it.
If I had a crankup tower I would be using Caster Oil to keep  the rope in
good shape

    What's good for ski lifts is not good for guy  wires - we're talking
totally different applications. A ski lift cable is  always moving and is used
in
a horizontal orientation. You need to keep the  strands lubricated to minimize
wear.

    Guy wires don't move. There really isn't any wear  to begin with so
lubricating them is a non-issue. You only have to worry about  tension and
oxidation (rust). And besides, the stuff you put on is going  to wash off with
the
first rainstorm anyway.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC