To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 49, Issue 43
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:01:36 +0000

>From: K7LXC@aol.com

> >  What is the best method, type and brand of products to use  for getting
>rid of surface rust from Rohn 25.

I have not been too impressed with "cold galvanising".  I found that it
begins to rust through after a year or two.  I have had much better results
with Rustoleum "rusty metal" aluminium paint.  It seems to last almost as
long as real galvanising.  My Rohn 25 tower has been up for over 25 years.
I use an ex-AMBC tower base insulator with ungalvanised iron castings bonded
to each end of the ceramic, and an ungalvanised steel adaptor plate to
attach the insulator to the bottom of the tower.  I painted the end castings
and adaptor plate with the Rustoleum, and I think I have repainted it once,
and it is still in good shape, while the tower itself is beginning to show
quite a bit of rust on the surface.

The Rustoleum soaks into surface rust and fills the pores, so that the
paint-saturated rust acts like a primer and makes the coat of paint adhere
more tightly than it would to bare metal.

Don k4kyv

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live