[TowerTalk] Orion RC2800P

To: towertalk@contesting.com (Towertalk)
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion RC2800P
From: jcowens1@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:51:47 +0000
Using SLIPP-NOTT on and Orion 2800 rotator mast clamp might be akin to putting
aluminum foil around a fuse. I would ask M Square before doing that. My 14 year
old RC2800P slips, but I understand the newer rotator clamps are better. The
literature also recommends against pinning the mast to the rotator as it will
void the warrantee. That tells me they want the slippage to act as a sort of
fuse. If you can't tolerate the slippage, and you have a big stack and
environment that will cause it, then you should probably use a different
rotator.

I currently have 23.4 sq ft of antennas on mine which is well below the
advertised 35 sq ft capacity. One of my antennas is the Force 12 EF180C 80M
rotating dipole which is 83 feet long. I feel it is the main contributor to the
slippage problem. You should see it dance around in a wind storm. It is only
4.5 sq ft wind surface area, but the element lengths are a very long lever arm
working against the rotator at all times (start, stop, wind). I have had
problems with the controller, but the older units had problems that have been
fixed in newer units. If the EF180C were not on the mast, I think my slippage
problems would be minimal or non-existent.  Even with an old ac motor type 2800
like mine, I feel it is a very good rotator. The controller is another story
though. Some folks have switched to Green Heron controllers which they claim
are better.

The best way to eliminate or minimize slippage is to follow the proper sequence
for tightening the 10 clamp bolts. With the 4 clamp base bolts loosened,
tighten the heck out of the 6 mast clamp bolts. These are Grade 5, 3/8x24 steel
bolts and can take a fair amount of torque. M Square folks should be able to
give you a torque value if you need it. After the 6 bolts are good and tight,
tighten the 4 clamp to rotator base bolts. If it slips after that, it probably
needed to for protecting your rotator gears. The M Square folks bought a bit of
a mess from Orion and have been trying to improve on the product quality and
reliability. They are always very helpful to me over the phone which is better
that some others I can think of.

John Owens - N7SEJ