Re: [TowerTalk] Effective of ground snow on Antenna radiationpattern

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Effective of ground snow on Antenna radiationpattern
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:12:37 -0500
There is snow and there is snow. (Ask a cross country skier.) Dry powder
has lots of air in it, which gets partly compacted out after a while.
Wet snow has liquid water mixed in, etc.

Ken,

There are two effects to worry about.  The biggest problem would be RF
absorption (loss), which would be worse for higher liquid water content
IMO.  The other issue is dielectric constant.  Ice and water have high
"epsilon" - which means that your antenna will be detuned.  (Apparently
not an issue if your SWR is OK.) It also means that you would get some
change in antenna patterns because you have a layer of (somewhat) lossy
dielectric (snow) over your normal ground.  Ground is still ground, but
the snow will dissipate some of your power, and your antenna pattern
will change somewhat.  It could be modeled, if you know the properties
of your snow.

73 Martin AA6E