Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:23:19 EST
In a message dated 1/17/2007 1:16:59 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

What  does surprise me, though, is that it is standard practice in the
business for  ham-sized guyed towers to use only three ground anchor points, to
each
of  which all the guys on that side are connected through equalizer plates.
I'm sure the theory is that a guy wire will break before the guy anchor does,
 but it seems to me that putting the top guy set on separate anchor rods
(maybe  even in the same concrete foundation, but a few feet further out) would

provide a useful bit of redundancy and prevent the whole thing falling over
like a cut tree if the anchor rod fails, through corrosion or other unseemly
contingency.

73, Pete N4ZR

Good point and that may have been the key to my tower's success in the
accident.  Because I had a high wind load, substandard soil and a high  water
table
I did just that.  On the two Rohn 55 200 footers I had, the  bottom two sets
of guys were set out around 70 or 80 feet.  The upper three  were out the
usual 150-160 feet.
It costs more to do it (more concrete and rebar), involves more labor, but  I
felt it was worth it.

On the Rohn charts, the only time they go to this system is when they have
more than 5 guy points since the biggest plate they make is a five holer (no,
not an Italian kilowatt).

Bill K4XS/KH7XS