[TowerTalk] Hauling Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hauling Tower
From: "Gary Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:11:23 -0600
Here is how I hauled a Tri-Ex LM-470 from Phoenix to Shreveport, and a
HyGain HD70G crank up from Mississippi to Louisiana.

I rented a U-Haul car-carrier. twin axle (conservatively rated for about
3,000# and built stronger than that), used to haul a car or SUV on top
of the trailer. The tower needed to be positioned so that the base of
the tower was forward of the standard tire ramp, and the tower was
slightly angled on the trailer, and the top stuck off the back of the
trailer 2 or 3 feet (I had a red safety flag on it). I chained the whole
thing down so it could not move forward or backward (or sideways,
obviously), and pulled it with a Ford Expedition. The whole system
pulled great, no slippage, no problems. Coast around $45.00 a day.
Didn't mention to UHaul I was going to be hauling a tower.

                        Gary      W5FI