Re: [TowerTalk] dipole length adjustment

To: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole length adjustment
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:43:04 -0800
At 03:10 PM 1/19/2007, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:
>Jim Lux wrote:
>
> >The loss in the tuner will be pretty much the same
> >either way, and it's a heck of a lot simpler to have it at the feedpoint.
> >

>Uhhhh....I guess I don't understand the last phrase.

remote or automatic control would, of course, be indicated <grin>

>What's simple about getting up from the rig, walking to the coat closet,
>getting my coat and hat and boots and mittens, going outside to my tuner
>that's located at the feedpoint of my antenna, turning the knobs in -20
>degree weather, and returning to the house where I go through the
>reverse process, only to find the DX that I was going to chase has
>disappeared?

Aw heck, if they weren't going to hang around waiting for you, they
weren't worth waiting for, right?

And besides, if you followed the advice of selecting your residence
location for optimum antenna operation, we're not just talking about
HOAs, but also weather that doesn't require any clothing beyond,
perhaps, something on your feet to keep from scuffing up the soles.
{mind you it snowed here in Southern California (in Malibu, no less)
yesterday, but that's definitely a freak instance}

Jim, W6RMK