Re: [TowerTalk] tower at airport

To: "Neil & Heather" <neil.goodell@verizon.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower at airport
From: "Van K7VS" <wa7fab@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:22:07 -0800
No Neil.  If you tower falls within the FAA rule you must register your
tower BUT the FAA does make exceptions for just what you mentioned.  That is
"surrounding terrain."  In two instances, once in Medford and once in Coos
Bay, Oregon  the FAA waved their tower height  & lighting requirements and
sent me a letter to that effect.  I got these when I O&O radio stations in
Oregon in the mid eighties and early nighties.  Certainly doesn't mean they
will do it every time but depending on circumstances might be an option.  In
my case it simply save cost of specialized painting and lighting
requirements.  So fill out the forms and send them in.  It's not a big deal.
Van, K7VS