Re: [TowerTalk] Butternut HF2V 'Top Hat Wires' Question

To: tyron@globalnet.co.uk, mryan001@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Butternut HF2V 'Top Hat Wires' Question
From: telegrapher9@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:00:28 -0500
Adding the top hat wires will increase the radiation resistance. If the VSWR
was 1:1 before it will be higher after the wires are added. The wires should
just about triple the radiation resistance. Given a high ground resistance the
radiation efficiency will triple.

Running the top hat wires horizontal is the best. Angling them downward cancels
some of the current-area of the antenna and results in a lower radiation
resistance.

Recommendation: Run the top hat wires as horizontal as you can. Tune the
antenna to resonance. Adjust the VSWR at the shack using a good tuner.

   Dave WX7G