[TowerTalk] 80m yagi / quad question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m yagi / quad question
From: Robert Thain <g0hgw@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:46:57 -0800 (PST)
'allo,
I'm looking for some more advice on a 80m GAIN antenna.
I will be operating from my club station in the ARRL SSB and I want to put up a
directional gain antenna.
We operate from a water tower (Photo can be seen at QRZ.com F6KCP).

The edge of the water-tower is at 35m 120ft, but we also have a mast on top for
another 7m up to 140ft. And the diameter at the top of the building is ABOUT
30ft/ 10m. I have to measure it.

I was thinking about 2 half wave verticals to make a vertical yagi. Then
someone suggested 2 inverted Vs in a yagi configuration or a 2 el Quad .
The V and quad would be fed at the top, 135ft point. However I think the
effective height of the quad would be a lot lower (right ?).
It will only be up for the weekend or so, and ideally it should be very simple
to install and VERY robust to installation errors. Plug and play ...
Up to now I have used an inverted V at 18m, so I am sure we can improve on
that.

Whatever it is has to be simple to install and simple to get working and
relatively fool proof.

We will probably install a Beverage (or two) as well.

Thanks,
Robert F5VHN (Op F6KCP)  f5vhn(at)yahoo.com (at) = @