Re: [TowerTalk] Greetings to all

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Greetings to all
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:37:24 EST
In a message dated 1/30/2007 12:09:16 A.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
john@kk9a.com writes:

Actually  putting together a good DX station is a little more complicated
then  selecting a good antenna.  The antenna needs to be at the proper height

for the optimum angle of radiation.  This height varies depending on
frequency and conditions which is why serious stations have more than one
antenna.  If your antenna is relatively low, say 30ft, you could make  a big
improvement on 15m and 20m by raising it to 60ft.  FWIW, I have  had good
luck using a Cushcraft A3 on contest  DX-Peditions.
Very good point, and even more important is unless you live on a pretty  flat
piece of ground, to do or have someone do for you a terrain analysis.   The
software for this can be found in the ARRL Antenna Handbook.

That 50 or 60 foot level is a good idea, but it could be way to high if you
are blessed with a nice hill for your antenna site.

I also had several A-3 antennas at my old QTH.  I picked them all up  used
for less than $100 each.  I liked them, but they all were prone to  getting
water in the traps.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS