Re: [TowerTalk] adding up wind loads

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] adding up wind loads
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 07:44:37 -0600
For some free software to make these calculations go to
http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/

and download the file labled TRANVITY.ZIP.  Also download the following
pdf file.
http://www.arrl.org/qex/1123.pdf

To give you a feeling as to what this load does, I have the same
antennas you are planning.  I have an HDX555 with a 4 element SteppIR 2
ft above the top of the tower, and an XM240 9 feet above that, and a 20
ft mast. That's total of 16.4 sq ft (of antenna plus mast) on a tower
rated for 29.5 sq ft at 70 mph.  This load max'es out my tower at 74 mph
average with gusts to 95 mph.  So this is good for a 70 mph area, but if
you're in a 90 mph area, this tower is underrated.

Jerry, K4SAV