Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Loading Question.

To: k2qmf@juno.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Loading Question.
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:26:27 -0500
Hi Ted,

At 02:40 PM 2/12/07, k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I have a question regarding wind loading.
>
>When tower or antenna manufactures rate
>their products in MPH wind loading do they mean constant wind
>or wind gusts??

When a manufacturer spec's according to a standard such as EIA-222,
it's an 'average' wind speed. Survival loads are then computed by
applying, among other things, a 'gust factor' on top of the pressure
due to the average wind speed in order to account for gusts above the average.

Now in detail, the different version of EIA-222 have employed
different averaging schemes over the years, so one has to pay close
attention to exactly how an antenna or tower is spec'd.

It's good to be sure you know precisely what a manufacturer says in
their specs.

>For instance what would a tower rated at 20 Sq Ft. in 60 MPH winds
>really mean??  Is it safe in 60 MPH winds with some gusts to 70 MPH ???

Yes, usually. As always, YMMV.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK