Re: [TowerTalk] Tower foundations

To: "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@mozarks.com>, <K7LXC@aol.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower foundations
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:06:18 -0800
At 01:54 PM 2/12/2007, Blake Bowers wrote:
>Yep, and its and easy lift for a tow truck even.

True enough.. Although disposing of that 2 ton block might be a bit
of a challenge. That concrete breaker they're using on the freeway
job would make short work of it.  I saw them dropping pieces that
were the size of those concrete jersey barriers (15 ft long and 2 ft
high or thereabouts) they use for temporary freeway dividers.

>Dig out next to it with a backhoe, and pluck it out.

Ahhh.. Not enough manual labor there.. dig it out by hand, and break
it up with a chisel and 4 pound hammer.  That'll build some muscles. <grin>

>Repour.  Better than risking epoxy.

No real risk with chemical anchors.  The concrete will fail before
the anchor does if you follow mfrs recommendations (aka LXC prime
directive).  I would (and have) trusted my life to chemical
anchors.  The primary reason they use cast-in-place anchors is that
they are cheaper and easier, not because there's any structural
problem with them.

Jim, W6RMK