[TowerTalk] question a parasitic element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] question a parasitic element
From: VE2RYY <ve2ryy@globetrotter.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:09:35 -0500
Hello
I am just reading in ON4UN  Low-Band Dxing book 3th Ed, page 13-48 (fig 13-68)
and also in the 4th Ed. page 13-30.
Now what I see is a 3 el. parasitic array for 160 meters.
There is something I do not understand....and I quote" With the appropriate
hardware you can connect the parasitic elements directly to ground for a
director., and for the RFL via a loading coil to gnd.
NOW here is my question....In the case of the Director, WHY PUTTING IT TO
GND...It is already a Director, the vertical part of this parasitic element is
75.45 ft and the sloping part is 64.7 ft...
If we take a look of the total parasitic element it is 140.15 ft...
I would like to know WHY is it said ...you can connect the parasitic element
directly to ground(director)
What Am I missing in here...
I only have the 3th Ed, but I was told that is the same text in the 4th ED...
I don't see why should I put this director to GND????
Anybody had experience in this stuff????
Thanks
NOEL