[TowerTalk] 40-meter Beverage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-meter Beverage
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:18:07 EST
Hi Guys,

I'm going to put in some hours on 40-meters this weekend in the  ARRL DX Test.

My transmit antenna works great but I'd like to put up a Beverage  tomorrow
aimed towards Europe as my noise level is high and I probably  won't be able to
hear them without a receive antenna.

This is another one of those last minute jobs!  (I've been  working
out-of-town for several months and just got home)

I don't have a matching transformer for the feedpoint and I don't  have a
terminating resistor for the far end.  Wish I did as I'd like the  antenna to
uni-directional towards Europe.

QUESTION 1: I've heard some guys say that a Beverage will work  pretty well
even if the feedpoint impedance isn't matched.  For this  temporary antenna can
I feed the Beverage direct with a piece of coax and  ground the braid?

QUESTION 2: I don't have a termination resistor on-hand and no  time to order
one.  I need recommendations for what I should do with the  far end, such as:
leave it open, tie it to a short ground rod, tie a helium  balloon to it...
oops- don't have helium on-hand either!  (just kidding on  the balloon)

In closing, I'd like a temporary beverage that will improve my  signal to
noise ratio on 40-m. beaming Europe.

I realize I should match the feed impedance and I should have a  terminating
resistor... but since I don't and I need the antenna up tomorrow  night... can
I make this  inefficient beverage work better than my  noisy transmit antenna?

Thanks & 73,

Dick- K9OM