Re: [TowerTalk] A totally off topic anecdote-

To: Tod-ID <tod@k0to.us>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A totally off topic anecdote-
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:21:12 -0500
On Dec 24, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Tod-ID wrote:

> One day the instructor entered the lecture hall and proceeded to
> write six
> equations on the board for us to contemplate. He briefly described the
> transitions from one to the next and ended the presentation by
> saying, "The
> transition from equation #5 to #6 is obvious ! ". Then he stopped,
> stepped
> back and stared at the board for a full minute. Without a word he
> left the
> room and went across the hall to his office. The entire class was left
> trying to figure out what was going on. After eight minutes he
> reappeared
> and announced triumphantly, "Yes, it is obvious".

I remember a calculus class at Tech where the instructor was trying
to solve a problem, and he kept getting confused because he was
talking at the same time. At one point, he said, "OK, I'll stop
talking." He proceeded to solve the problem on the board, where he
would stop, turn around and grunt while pointing at a particular part
of the problem -- the emphasize his point.

Despite being really funny, he solved the problem easily, and it was
a terribly effective bit of instruction. There was nothing to
concentrate on except the problem at hand.

I thought it was the most effective 5 minutes of math lecture I had
ever attended.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901