Re: [TowerTalk] banging crankup towers

To: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] banging crankup towers
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:30:47 -0500
On Jan 1, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Jim Jarvis wrote:

> If I were to put up a house-bracketed tower, at this point, I'd
> make sure it was on the opposite side of the house from where I
> sleep.

I have 15m of Rohn 25 housebracketed at the corner of the master
bedroom.

I have almost zero noise problems. The only times you can hear the
tower are a) when the rotor brake locks/unlocks (Klunk!) b) when the
wind is blowing 30 mph or more, which causes the antenna elements to
vibrate at very, very low frequencies.

If you housebracket near a sleeping area, I would recommend you use a
non-crankup tower. There's nothing to move or bang.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901