[TowerTalk] Force 12 Sigma 180 80M dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Force12Talk@qth.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 Sigma 180 80M dipole
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 10:09:35 EST
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    I'm installing one of these antennas and have run  into a problem that I
need some input on. The antenna natural resonant frequency  is 3.500, it
should be about 3.800. The manual is pretty ambiguous (nothing new  there)
about
the coils; it looks like the outer end connects to a  thru-the-element bolt. A
similar one I installed was not fixed and used U-bolts  to vary the length of
the coil along the element. It seems like we should try  that on this antenna.
Gary, K9RX, has one and used the attachment to the  thru-bolt successfully so
now I'm confused.

    Also, when I have the relay box, hairpin coil and  balun hooked up, I get
infinite SWR which is a typically a feedline problem.  Hooking the balun
directly to the feedpoint works as it should. More confusion.  :-(

    TIA for any help.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH