[TowerTalk] Stacking 204BA's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking 204BA's
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:40:35 -0500
W6TR:
 >Now, if you did away with the dual driven element
and make it into a 4 director antenna it would really play.

 >I was trying to say was that I found that I
could get more performance out of my KLM by eliminating
the dual driven element in favor of a single driven element

         Bob we have a different definition of "really
play".  Gain is primarily a function of boom length.
Changing the feed system has little to do with that.  The OWA design
uses 2 elements for broad-banding even
though only one is driven whereas KLM uses two actively
driven elements.  The net result is that gain will
be very similar if both antenna styles are optimized
in a program like YO using identical input parameters
(boom length, bandwidth, parameter weightings, etc.)
Before the days of NEC modeling, I remember Telrex
advertised their 6 element 20 on a 46 foot boom having
*significantly* (i.e. dB...not tenths of a dB) more gain
than a 5 element 20 on the same boom.  Now we know that
is simply not true.  The only way to get significantly
more gain in a properly optimized antenna is by using
a longer boom.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV