Re: [TowerTalk] Phase Relation of Different Cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phase Relation of Different Cables
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:39:18 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mike,

The easiest way to do your job is with a Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR). I've
had no trouble making precision cable length measurements
with my HF antennas connected.

I also use the TDR to check transmission lines and phasing accuracy from inside
the shack, there's no need to haul the TDR outdoors.
During my annual preventative maintenance, I use my TDR in shack to
check all of my feedlines and phasing lines and compare the results
with prior years.  With a WX0B stackmatch, you can check each phasing
line individually.  Of course, I also keep records of the VSWR sweeps
as well.

Its a whole lot easier to check the condition of 8 Beverages with a TDR
than to go out and walk them in the snow! The TDR will check the
feedlines and the Beverage antenna as well.  If a Beverage wire falls
down, its immediately obvious from the TDR in the shack.

Very affordable TDRs are listed for sale on the eBay and other sites.
You don't need an new one, although a nice compact portable TDR would
be lots handier than my 40 year old Hewlett Packard TDR!

73!
Frank
W3LPL