Re: [TowerTalk] Tower winch failure

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ab7r@cablespeed.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower winch failure
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:38:00 EDT

In a message dated 3/17/2007 11:50:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Also keep in mind MOST other winches are designed/rated for  pulling, not
lifting.  Please don't think because a winch is rated for  1500 lbs pulling
it will lift that weight safely, it will not.  The  Fulton/Bulldog winches
are rated for pulling and lifting, that's why tower  manufacturers supply
them with their towers.  If you are careful not  to get lube on the discs and
maintain it properly.  I plan to replace  the discs and pawl assembly every
few years.....probably whenever I replace  the cable.  May be a bit overkill,
but cheap insurance and peace of  mind.

    I guess I'm wondering when you'd decide to  replace your cable. In my
experience, I've only seen one crank-up whose cables  were so bad that they
actually needed replacing due to severe deterioration.  Other than that, it's
kind
of a useless exercise.

    Cables need replacing when: 1 - there is  damage to the cable (e.g.
kinked or flattened); 2 - there are excessive broken  strands (e.g. six or
more);
or 3 - excessive rust (not surface rust). Like I  said, I've never seen a ham
tower whose cables were bad enough to warrant  replacement. But if it'll make
you feel better, knock yourself out.

    BTW the 3-year cable replacement policy of US  Towers is a weasel clause;
that is, if something happens to your tower and you  haven't replaced the
cables, UST can weasel out of any responsibility. It's  got nothing to do with
any lifespan issues with the cables. And by cables I  really mean wire rope. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams