[TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:58:28 -0700
 My radials are soldered to a wire ring about 18 inches in diameter around
the base of my Hytowers. The wire connecting the coax shield to this ring is
about 6 inches long. The buried hardline extends out of the ground about 6
inches. I soldered 6 inch solid wire leads to the center conductor and
shield. A cover for the end of the coax was made of close fitting PVC pipe
with a cap on the end. The center wire comes thru a snug fitting hole in the
cap to the tower base.The shield wire goes down out of the bottom of the cap
and is soldered to the wire ring. At 80 or 160m these lead lengths are not a
problem. Why would one mess with a machined plate, solder lugs, and bolts?
What am I missing?
73, Dan, N5AR