[TowerTalk] Towers, Rotators and Antennas in 100 MPH Windzones

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers, Rotators and Antennas in 100 MPH Windzones
From: Gerald Boutin <VE6WA@infinichron.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:00:13 -0600
Howdy,

I am soon to be transplanted to eastern Canada, where after living stuck in
a relatively large city for almost 40 years, I will be out in a large
acreage in the countryside.

I am going to have room for more towers and antennas than I can ever afford.
My ultimate goal is an SO2R station that is more or less "competitive" in
contests. My other criteria is that I want a system that is going to stay up
for years at a time. No annual replacing rotators and rebuilding antennas. I
am also not on an unlimited budget.

While VE1 is very nice geographically for access to Europe, I am starting to
realize that there are challenges dealing with a 100 MPH wind zone. I have a
little bit of cushion in that I am in a sheltered area bordering on the
ocean in that my elevation varies from sea level to about 20 feet and the
property is situated in a cove inside a bay. OTOH, HFTA says I would be much
better off up on the 150 foot cliffs a few miles down the coast.

My thoughts are centered around something like a pair of stacked C31XRs at
40/80 or 50/90 feet with a Mag240N above at 87 or 97 feet. So, to my
question(s).

What do I need for a tower and rotator(s)? There's no way that 25G is rated
for this and from the best I can tell, it is too much for 45G as well.
Looking at Trylon's STG, I think it comes close I still need to go through
detailed calculations. (I've still not seen anyone comment on this tower. Is
anyone using it?)

A C31XR and Mag240N (H versions) is past the recommended ratings for the
G2800DX rotor. So, does this mean I am into PST71 and Prop Pitch territory?
My budget is groaning. Is there any (lower priced) option other than the TIC
Ring or K0XG for the bottom antenna? As I said, my bank account is being
threatened. I could fix the bottom antenna for EU but I would really like to
be able to do North American contests as well. Any suggestions on how to fix
mount the lower antenna so that it could be relatively easily manually
shifted from time to time?

I've also started looking at somewhat smaller antennas, but I don't see a
lot of options, especially for 40m, that look like they would be happy for
several years in this wind zone.

I could see putting up two 48 foot self-supporting towers each with a
tribander, and maybe a rotatable dipole for 40, but being so low in
elevation I'll really get killed on 40m, both to EU and the US, let alone on
DX stuff.

Suggestions, anyone?

--
Gerald Boutin, VE6WA (soon to be /1)