Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser grounding question

To: nv8a@att.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser grounding question
From: DMartin560@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:01:49 EDT

Alan,
Those holes in the lug should mate with the pre-punched holes on
ground buss bars used at commercial sites.  However, they use
3/8" hardware for attachment.

In absence of that type bar, I do just as you suggested: use a round member
adapter
(s/s hose clamp) and clamp to a tower leg.  Use a little noalox or copper
coat.

Dwayne, KG4ADM

I have at last* managed to get hold of a couple of Polyphaser UNI-KIT
2TT grounding kits to ground the coax shield to the tower at both top
and bottom, but I am unsure what the grounding end is designed to
connect to. The instruction sheet mentions "Two NEMA spaced tail
grounding holes provided with stainless (1/4-20 x 3/4) hardware," but
the holes correspond to nothing I have ever seen, such as the bronze
ground-rod clamps that are available "everywhere". And there seem to be
no suitably located holes in the tower (Well, maybe in the top plate,
but I'll have to tilt it over to see).

Any reason not to simply clamp the grounding straps (which seem to be
stainless steel) to a tower leg?

*I used the phrase "at last" because the one supplier who claimed to
have some of the other items in stock at a good price simply never
delivered; even emails to sales@... kept bouncing; I faxed an order
(which they acknowledged on the phone -- I called them -- that they had
received), but they never responded, etc. On Saturday, after a delay of
a few months, I gave up on them and ordered online from DX Engineering,
the items were shipped on Monday and delivered on Tuesday.

Alan NV8A