Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: info on radials repartition...

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: info on radials repartition...
From: W8AV@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:57:46 EDT
Jim:

I really do not thing that adding addition radials on the null area of the
pattern should not make that much of a difference in the null area  either.  I
agree that nulls are important, that's why I have an 80 meter  array.
:-)However, if you take a field strength meter out in the field and  measure
the
nulls of the pattern before lengthening the radials and then again  after you
lengthen them, I doubt that you will see a lot of change in the  radiated
field.
The adjustment of the directional pattern is acheived by  the power in each
element of the array.  This power levels in each element  should stay
relatively
constant if the radials are lengthened.  Yes there  will be a little
difference because of the increased efficiency in the areas  where the radials
are
longer, but in my opinion not enough to significantly  effect the performance.

73.........de Goose, W8AV

I disagree.  Matching is trivial. My concern is the pattern. I would expect
see  little change in the lobes, but significant degradation of the nulls.
Maybe
you don't care about the nulls, but I've been in situations where nulls  are
VERY helpful.