[TowerTalk] Tower problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower problem
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:44:01 EDT
My observation and comment on the symptom of a tower not raising when  power
applied, but after a slight down run it will lift.
I have had two TriEX LM470's, and now a US Tower HD589 and they have all
exhibited this phenomenon but it was not motor stall, but the belt is
slipping.
The reversing (down) would usually cure this in one try.   The belt being out
in the weather does dry out and can become slippery.  A  little belt dressing
will fix it for several months.  In most cases it is  not necessary to
reposition the motor to increase belt tension.

Norm W4QN

I have had  the same problem you are having with the stall upon raising the
tower and have  resorted to doing the same thing you do. If I briefly lower the
tower and then  switch to raising, it usually takes off and raises the tower.
Once it is under  way, it doesn't hesitate or stall the rest of the way up.
There is friction  between the various sections and they told me to use bees
wax on the tower areas  where there is abnormal friction. I bought some and put
it on and it did help  the situation.

I guess it is kind of a tradeoff situation. You can't  have an overkill on
power to move the sections as that might put unreasonable  stress on the cables
and result in a breakage. Before I put the bees wax on the  tower innter
surfaces, it used to bind slightly towards the end of travel up. It  is better
with
the bees wax.

Regarding oil, I changed mine last year and  I am pretty sure I used regular
automobile differential oil (90 wt?).  The  Hub City (gearbox mfr) literature
I have says GL-90 for temps between 15 and 60  DEGF, or GL-150 for temps
between 50 to 125 DEGF. It says to change it after  every 100 hours of use. For
me,
that is about every 20 years.  I chose GL90  because of the lower viscosity.
I talk with Gary Smith at UST when I have  questions (559)733-2438. He has
been there a long time and seems to be the most  knowledgeable.

By the way, you don't have to buy their replacement  v-belt as a Dayco 4L350
from Schucks Auto (or equiv) works just fine at  about  1/5th of their price.
These should be replaced periodically as you  never want to have one of these
come off or break. All of my expoeriences and  information relate to my HDX
572 MDPL which should be equivalent to yours in  these areas

John Owens - N7TK