Re: [TowerTalk] Guy tension for Polygon guy rod?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, scott@ka9fox.qth.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy tension for Polygon guy rod?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:54:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/4/2007 9:02:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am trying to check the tension on my 100ft tower, which  uses 3/8"
Polygon guy rod (guyed out at 100 ft).  There is 5/16" EHS  for the
last 15 feet or so.

>  I can easily use the Loos  gauge to measure the tension, but I do not
know what the correct tension  should be for Polygon guy rod.  I
believe I should be at 10% breaking  strength, but I don't know what
that is off-hand.  Probably this has  been discussed before, but I
can't find it.

    Well, by definition whatever the measurable EHS  tension is is what the
Polygon tension is. What is the Ultimate Breaking  Stength (UBS) of the Polygon?

    While 5/16" guys are a little overkill for your  hundred-footer, I'd guy
the tower to the 5/16" spec. UBS for 5/16" EHS is  11,200 pounds so your guy
tension should be 1100 pounds. This is assuming of  course that it's a match to
the Polygon rod. If it's not, then I'd use the  Polygon spec for the tension.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams