[TowerTalk] Adding 6m to a Quad

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wb5aaa@alltel.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adding 6m to a Quad
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 23:07:18 EDT
Jim,
In planning the addition of 6m to a 3 element quad you have several issues
to resolve.  First, element spacing is in the 30" to 40" range, so  additional
element supports will have to be added in between the existing HF  spreaders.

The other consideration is where is the boom to mast plate located  along the
boom?  Then what is the potential for mechanical  interference between 6m
arms and the tower. (one set of arms could be very  close to the mounting
point).
 Because your quad is an odd element  configuration, you already must have an
asymmetrical element  arrangement.  Somewhat dependant on you current HF
element  spacing I would consider the following.

If your driven element is forward of the mast attachment  point, and about
10ft separation from the Director element I would use the  Driven element HF
arms for the 6m Reflector.  Add a 6m Driven (about 40  inches from the 6m
Reflector, and a 1st director halfway from the 6 m driven and  the HF director
where
the 6m 2nd director is co-located.  I am assuming  about 12 ft between the two
HF elements.

Norm W4QN

Message:  4